If you are here, the chances are that you have several questions about roof and chimney cricket flashings. You want to know if they are indeed essential for your home.
If the flashings are indeed critical as claimed, what is their “importance”? How can you install one for your home? Most importantly, how much will it cost you?
Good news: this article contains all the answers that you seek – and more. Here is a breakdown of what you can expect:
- What are roof and chimney cricket flashings?
- Who needs one? What is the importance?
- How can you install flashings?
- What is the cost of installing flashings?
- Where can you get hands-off chimney cricket installation and maintenance?
What Are Roof And Chimney Cricket Flashings?
Whether you call it roof or chimney cricket, the terms mean the same thing – a sloped, double-triangle backing/flashing just behind the chimney that diverts water from the structure.
Also known as roof/chimney saddle or diverter, crickets are primarily wood. However, they come with asphalt shingles or metal flashing. Hence, the name!
Note: for a chimney cricket to function perfectly, its slope must be high enough that water never reaches its peak. More importantly, the structure must adhere to standard requirements as follow:
|Roof slope||Height of cricket|
|12:12||1/2 of the width of the chimney|
|8:12||1/3 of the width of the chimney|
|6:12||1/4 of the width of the chimney|
|4:12||1/6 of the width of the chimney|
|3:12||1/8 of the width of the chimney|
Who Needs A Chimney Cricket? What Are The Importance?
Naturally, every homeowner should have a roof cricket to extend the lifespan of their chimney and roofing. However, the structure is not always a necessity. How so?
- According to the 2015 International Residential Code (IRC), crickets are only necessary when your chimney is at least 30″ wide and is along the slope of your roof.
- Furthermore, failure to install a cricket is not necessarily the cause of precipitation leaks in your roofing. The leaks might be due to cracks along the joints.
In any case, consult an expert to look at your roof and chimney.
Now, you might be wondering, why get a chimney cricket when it might not even be the cause of my leakage conundrum? Why install one?
The chimney is one of the most vulnerable points in your roof. And because it opens directly into your home, it is often the target of wildlife. Imagine not securing such a structure! Rodents could invade your space and cause all sorts of diseases.
Rodents and wildlife aside, puddles of water can also store behind your chimney when you don’t install a cricket. When that happens, water will trickle down into your home, leading to wall dampening and mold infestation.
Bottom line: chimney cricket is essential to keep your home safe and clean. Health benefits aside, some insurance policies might even require it if you don’t have one already.
How Can You Install A Cricket Flashing?
Frankly, we will advise you against a DIY installation – because of the roof area. You could fall, damage your roofing, and still injure yourself. In other words, always seek out professionals, like Sound Renovation LLC, for the job.
Nonetheless, we say you should know the fundamental steps involved. Have a look:
- Measure your roof, chimney, and slope. While you are at it, note the elevation and pitch. Remember to consider the building codes too.
- After, build the cricket frame and place sheathing over it.
- Now, move to your chimney area, remove the shingles and place the cricket.
- Ensure that you apply waterproof adhesives along the joints.
- Lastly, install a metal flashing system to flush the layers.
Also read: What Are The Advantages Of Metal Roofing?
Outside the steps, professionals still include several modifications for the structure to meet building codes. Plus, they know how to save costs and still attain quality results.
About costs, how much should you budget?
What Is The Cost Of Installing Flashings?
Frankly, there is no one-fit-all quote for the installation of chimney crickets. What you pay will depend on:
- Your desired roofing material and its accessibility,
- The condition of your masonry – would it need replacement?
- The size of your chimney, and
- The project duration and its labor requirements.
Regardless of your preferences, you can expect an average of $3000-$6000.
Where Can You Get Hands-Off Chimney Cricket Installation And Maintenance?
Sound Renovations LLC offers both fabrication and installation services. And we have been doing that for two decades now – since 2002. So, rest assured that your chimney is in safe hands.Most importantly, our quotes are affordable. Reach out now and find out!